3 min read
What is the Full form of ETABS– Extended Three-Dimensional Analysis of Building System.
ETABS is a special purpose analysis and design program building system developed by Computers and Structures Inc.
The software provides a simple user interface to perform modeling, analysis, design, detailing and reporting.
ETABS is user-friendly as it provides a model explorer for quick access to an object, properties, and forms.
In ETABS, every grid line is drawn results in creating grid lines in a plan view, and elevation view.
It gives a wide selection of templates for quickly starting a new model.
So ETABS introduction for students of civil and structural engineering is a must.
And that is the reason behind creating Etabs introduction.
FEATURES OF ETABS
- Data can be viewed and edited using onscreen dockable tables.
- A most noteworthy feature of this software is a premade library of standard codes for concrete, steel, and the composite section. For almost all, the US and international standard sections.
- Walls, floors, and ramps modeled using Shell elements.
- Link elements are available for users to accurately represent the behavior of the structure.
- Automatically generates and apply wind and earthquake loads as per different codes.
- The rendered view can be generated to add the images to the report.
- Report generated features include indexed tables of content, model definition, information and analysis and design results in tabulated format.
- This software provides viewable reports, with the feature of export in Microsoft Word.
Workflow is the step by step approach.
From creating a model to the generation of the report for the model.
Select Base Unit and Design Standards.
You as a user needs to select the units and design standards to start the project.
Setup grid lines.
Here you start creating Grid Line to create the model layout or to paste model imported from different software.
Define Story level.
This is used to define the number of floors, its type.
Some floors are master floors and some are the normal floor.
Define Sectional properties.
Define Material Properties and section.
Draw Structural Object.
Define Objects like Slab, frames, decks, walls etc. for the model.
A user assigns sectional properties to structural objects.
Define Load pattern.
Action on a structure like force, pressure, support settlement, thermal effect etc. are defined under load pattern.
Define load cases.
Create and assign the combination of loads.
Analyze the model.
For applied load cases check and analyze the model.
Check if the members can withstand applied loads or they need replacement.
Design individual components to get steel design and other details.
Gather all the details to generate a document.
Generated a report with complete details and drawings.